Followers

Monday, December 26, 2011

Kindle Life – Navarasa – Episode:8 Bhaya Rasa (Fear)


In my last posting I covered five out of the nine Navarasas for which I received lots of positive responses. I thank all those took time to send me appreciative words. In this episode I am covering the most important Rasa “Bhaya (Fear)” in greater details. Earlier, I was planning to write a separate blog on “Fear Management” in my Kindle Life series to share my wisdom on Fear, which has great significance in our life. It may be appropriate to cover this topic under Naverasa as it will stay in your mind for many more years to come and kindle you to use this wonderful emotion nature has bestowed on all living species.



Fear (Bhaya) a New Paradigm

Fear is one of the well-known Rasa for all of us as it almost appears in our transactions on a daily basis in one form or the other. We know only the negative effects of Bhaya Rasa as that is the first experience in our formative years and an impediment for our growth there after. Fear has its own positive effects, which needs to be understood.



What is Fear (Bhaya)?

Fear is one of the basic instincts Nature has incorporated in the brain of the very first form of life that appeared in this planet. Instinct is one of the operating systems, which governs the behavior of any living organism. Studying the anatomy of our brain Science says, there are two parts in our brain namely Limbic brain and Amygdale located at the lower part of our skull at the end of the spinal chord which stores the instincts in which Fear (Bhaya) is one of them. Control – Alt – Delete is not possible to get rid of this emotion!! 


Why Nature provided Fear (Bhaya)?

Nature created this universe as a “Spontaneous organization” which means it is “Self-reliant and self-sustaining”. A simple example of this concept is a rain forest and planetary motions, which regulates it without any external controller. When Nature decided to upgrade its species from Minerals to Plants and then to animals it had a peculiar difficulty of this self-sustenance! The lower versions namely minerals and plants are simpler models staying in a fixed place and hence needs simpler instincts as compared to the animal, which are mobile. The plants also have certain intelligence, which is very evident when we see them germinating when the seeds are placed beneath the earth and are moving towards the sun for making their food! I presume the plants don’t have Bhaya as their instincts!

When the nature made a more complex gadget called animal, it has to enhance the operating system with more features. It incorporated “Self-preservation” as one of the instincts which means that the animal must try to survive from its predators! Fear apparently is the emotion the nature chose to incorporate which will take care of the self-preservation needs of the animals. That is why when an animal encounters another species, it estimates first whether that animal will eat it or it can eat that? After this assessment, the animal is found to have “Flight or Fight response”.

In summary, we are the next generation models of the animals and during up gradation the Nature retained Fear, as it was needed for our survival. You may argue that we no longer live in forest and hence this Bhaya as an emotion can be deleted. Although this argument may be right in a way, still we need Bhaya for regulating us to prevent doing certain things, which will endanger our survival.

The Effects of Fear

As I mentioned earlier there are positive and negative effects of Fear. The positive effect is it prevents us from doing foolish things in the name of courage and putting ourselves in a problem. The negative effect is it intimidates us from acting in our life and there by we are not known to the rest of world.

The Types of Fears:

There are several types of Fears, each one of them having different effects in our life and I wish to deal with each one of them along with the Strategy to control them from intimidating our progress. The more frequent occurring Fears worth our attention are:
  1.           Fear of Strangers
  2.           Fear of ill-health (disease)
  3.      Fear of Public speaking (standing in front of people.
  4.      Fear of Death

1.    Fear of Strangers:


Fear of Strangers have its genesis from childhood conditioning when our parents have warned us from the danger a stranger could inflict upon us. We are sub-consciously programmed that any new person we meet in our life will be dangerous and should be avoided. The moment we meet a stranger our auto response says we must avoid them. Unfortunately all opportunity comes from meeting and negotiating with many people whom we don’t know.

Tips:

The only way we can overcome this fear response is re-educating our mind constantly that stranger we are meeting is as good as any human beings we already know. In fact the stranger is less harmful than the familiar people as they have no bias about us! When you meet a stranger, be sensitive to watch the fear response in you and stay with that and accept it. The moment you witness the fear response and stay with it coolly, it automatically subsides. Tell your mind the new person you are meeting is going to get added to your contacts and will become your friend and well wisher.

2. Fear of ill- health:

In the modern era one of the fear that robs our peace is the fear of loosing health. One of the reasons for this is the health campaign in the media always trying sell products using our fear as the emotion such as the sun flower oil to avoid heart attack and so on. If you look at closely the data of the time duration a human being is well as compared to the duration of illness, you will find 99.99% of the time most of us keep reasonably good health. This reveals the fact that plan of nature is “healthy by default” and not sickness. If that is the fact, why worry?

Tips:

Look at the animal kingdom, they are always keeping good health as compared to human beings; we don’t find all those disease that exists in our domain like tooth decay, diabetics etc are not found in them. The reason is the animals live exactly as per the plan and law of nature where as we violate all those laws and become un-natural.

Whenever the fear of ill health haunts you remind your mind “by default you are healthy & all that you feared in the past have never happened”. Whenever some one tells you that they have a health problem, don’t get into self-pity saying “If it happens to me…… etc”. Merely watch the mind harboring the fear of ill health and don’t cooperate by visualizing a bad time for you. Instead pray for that person for getting well soon which will be more valuable than your self-pity.
  
2.    Fear of Public speaking

There are several books written on this topic; however let me add two cents worth of wisdom to it! Why are we afraid of articulating ourselves in front of a gathering either in an official presentation or in a public speaking? This fear is the basic response of our animal instinct where our system is triggering the “Fear of attack”. Who is the attacker here? In this context our Limbic brain treats the audience as the Predator and us as the pray!! The response is “Flight or fight”. If you understand the genesis of this fear it becomes easier for overcoming it. Here are the way I control this response as a consultant and a trainer.

Tip-1:

Whenever I start my presentation few minutes before this fear starts and slowing rises in my bosom. When this fear response comes (it always comes irrespective of my experience) I observe it as though I am observing traffic flowing while I seeing from my balcony. I take a long breath and tell my mind I am not going to succumb to its menace. The moment I observe it looses its power on me.

Tip-2:

I tell my mind that the audience is not the predator and I am not the pray. The fact is that they are afraid of me and I am afraid of them too!! This is ridiculous and fun knowing it. The moment this fact is told to my Limbic brain, it eases out and drives me to become the Predator instead of pray!

Tip-3:

I tell my mind that I am the teacher and they are the students irrespective of the scenario be it a marketing pitch, CEO presentation or training to the senior level management etc. They have come to listen to me since they don’t know the subject what I am going to talk.

Tip-4:

One of the expectation of the mind is How the audience is going to assess? – the fear of ridicule or rejection! I re-educate my mind saying that, it is immaterial for me whether they appreciate or denounce. It is my karma to deliver what I have to deliver and my fulfillment is coming from my delivery than the result! This attitude puts me in a strong stature and flow.

3.    Fear of Death:

One of the strongest fears we all suffer privately in our bosom is “Fear of Death”. To overcome this unproductive brain drainer we need to get certain perspective about death. What is death? There are several masters have written volumes and science investigated “near death experiences” and reported many facts. Death is the end of one cycle to begin another!

The day we have born one thing we are certain is we will die some day. Among many other things nature has planned death is one among those, which governs this spontaneous organization. If we don’t learn the art of leaving our body, we can never master the art of living. Overcoming the fear of death is the most important necessity for making good use of life.

Tip-1:

Death is one of those mysteries of nature and is unknown. Getting worried about an unknown is foolishness. If anything is inevitable accepting it is the wise decision than confronting it. The day died and night has born, childhood died and youth has born and so on. All that ended has lead to the birth of something new.

Tip-2:

Try and complete your life in full with good relationship and clearing all passion as much as you can. Death is fearful only for those who did not live their life fully well. If you have lived well you will embrace death gracefully.

The balance Rasas in the next episode. Wish you a fearless life ahead.

Love
NC 

7 comments:

  1. Hi NC,

    This is Abhijit again. It is supercool to read your blogs, I must say.

    On Bhaya Rasa: One of the practical aspect of fear, according to my experiences is, Fear of failure. This what restrains an individual from making firm decisions, especially when the situation is very demanding and leads to kiosk due to state of indecision.
    We have many examples as when "Sarva bhaya muktha" abhayadan given to individuals make them Super performers mostly if backed by Support & commitment.

    I hope, I could help.

    Hoping to see you soon.

    Regards,
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AK
    Delighted to see your cool comment and thanks a ton. Such kind feedbacks are the manure for my effort. I am happy to know Navarasa impacted on people like you.

    Thank you for the insights on "Fear of Failure" which can be my next topic.
    Kind Regards
    NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir,

    It is very good analysis about Fear.
    Some more fears are :

    Fear of Verticality :

    Many a times, when we climb steep height we get this fear. Some people when they stay in 16th floor terrace at the edge they get this fear. I used to get it in childhood when I climb the light house top at Chennai beach.

    Fear of Water :

    Especialy when we are in the midst of deep water, in spite of having a good boatman, we may get this fear. when see flood on the street like Psuanmi we get this fear

    Fear of Animals :

    Espeiclaly wild dogs, snakes, forests animals like tiger, lion etc., However they are controlled in a circus, when we see them even in our dream, we happen to fear at them. I have this fear of street dogs when I return home late nights. Generally it is not one or two, a group of them ready to bark from different voices and corners and loudness.

    Fear of Loudness :

    When we suddenly hear a thud , thunder, screeching sound, loud cry , shouting etc., this fear comes

    Fear of Lonliness :

    Imagine we are left in vast expanse of sand around which we don't find any living being. It instills a fear in the mind that we are alone. Old people have this when they are not taken care off for a long time or no body talks to them or ignoring them.

    Fear of Crowd :

    This is opposite to the above one. A space which can accomodate 10 people is occupied with 100 people, this fear emanates.
    A new comer to Mumbai gets this fear when he has to board the local train in the peak hours.

    Fear of Authority :

    This comes when we are reposed with certain responsibility for which we are only responsible. The fear comes especially when we are not prepared to take it.

    Fear at higher officials :

    When we do not know how to respond we get this fear.

    Fear of Police, judges or any controlling authority :

    This fear is common even though we don't do any harm to anybody or strictly follow laws religiously. Sub consciencely it is developed by saying from child hood 'God will pierce your eye if you don't obey' In Tamil it is 'Poochandi'.

    Fear of Arms and Ammunitions like normal knife, blade, sword, sickle , gun etc:

    When we don't know the usage of these things. A lot of us watched the people march the streets with lot of arms in their hands during Mumbai riots.

    Fear of Fire :

    When we are close to it.

    All these fears are apt when we don't know how to safegaurd ourselves from the situations. As we grow and when we understand the life and surroundings and origins of such fears slowly disappear.
    In Tamil , Fear or Bhaya is referred sometimes as 'being discreet or avoid in order to prevent or safegaurd' as Thiruvalluvar says in his Thirukkural 'Anjuvathu Anjaamai Pethamai' meaning that sometimes it is foolishness if you don't fear for such things where it is necessary so that it prohibits you to do some grave mistake or avoid a situation which may bring you misery'. Here Thiruvalluvar , according to me , refers to such situations where and when we can logically think whether it is ok to avoid rather than facing them.

    Hariharan P S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sir,

    Some more thoughts I get which I can share with our readers regarding Fear.

    Most of the Gods' pictures show one hand especially the right hand raised and palm showing in such way indicating to us that He or She is there to protect us. I have seen Lord Balaji, Nataraja, Goddesses Lakshmi, Durga and Saraswathi, Ganesh, Subramanya, Adi Sankara, Ragavendra, Shirdi Sai Bhabha, Guru Nanak, Jesus Christ and Holy Mary pictures with this 'Abhaya Hasta ' symbol. Fear is the most dominating aspect of all navarsa, probably all gods raise to give us an assurance that they are there to take care and hence let us not coil ourselves in a shell and in stead walk straight and gallop to achive our goals.

    P S Hariharan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sir,

    I would like to share with you all some of fears generated due to unavoidable circumstances.

    On Dec 2nd 1990, I was to leave New York by Air India . The flight was at about 8.30 pm . It was a Monday. The previous day, I reached N.Y from Atlanta to visit one of my past friend whose family was a good acquaintance to me in India. On 2nd , I was to leave the residence to Air port by eveing 4pm. But my friend dropped me by 1 pm itself since the weather forcast was predicting severe rain and thunder. Anticipating problem in the evening, I was dropped at Air port early and also he had to return.
    However the flight was departing at right time.
    Earlier 6 months back, I travelled for the first time to such long distance by changing flight at Chennai to Mumbai, Mumbai to London, London To N.Y and N.Y to Atlanta. All along I was enjoying. But now it is a direct flight to Mumbai from N.Y. But some how or other Fear gripped me. When the flight attendant was explaining how to use the jacket in case of emergency I paid keen atatention since it was heavily pouring outside and the flight was giving all sorts of jerks and dances to increase my fear. Even though I heard all explanations, I felt that I might not be able to use it when the necessity arose. The flight attendant time and again cautioned people to keep the seat belt tight . Normally we loosen it once plane raeches stable height. But that night it went on wobbling. Even though the captain and pilot of the plane was an experienced guy as told by the flight attendant, the fear was increasing further since there was no relief from unstability on air.
    I was looking at others to know whether all of them were gripped with fear as I was. But most of them took some newspapers to read or watch the big screen movie or slepping.
    This caused me more worry. Am I the odd man out ?
    How to over come fear ?
    I was praying all Gods known to me and introduced by my parents.
    I even prayed Gods whom hetherto I never prayed.
    I was chanting slokas all known to me.

    But after some time, I again got into fear.
    I was wondering how I would escape if I was dropped in Atlantic ocean ? I did not know swimming. Probably others knew it well and confident of escape.
    Then I consoled that even the best swimmer is dropped in mid ocean unexpectedly he might not able to adjust himself to sudden shock. However this thinking was not a good releif to me.
    I was wondering whether I would be able to operate the suit which I was supposed to use in case of jumping form flight in emergency. I was not very confident of that.
    This way all along I was thinkng all negative thoughts.
    Suddenly I found a solution.
    I started thinkng about my kid and wife whom I have left in India 6 months back when I proceeded to U S on software assignment. I started imagining how I would throw a surprise when I reach there since I had not confirmed my return date to them. Then I started thinking what all my little daughter would talk to me new words, new rhyms , new friends etc.,
    I was wondering how my wife would receive me and would be suprised with gifts I was carrying for her. I was even thinking how she would tell her office freind about the gifts I was giving her and my over all and my over alle xperience in US to her friends. I was thinkng about pleasnt experinece in participating in US independance day at Atlanta where my personally took part in flying 10000 baloons in the air prior to military march. This was arranged by a brother of my US contractor who was owning a Baloon shop in addition to being an officer in Southern Bell.
    I slowly forgot the flight conditions.
    After some time, I forgot how the flight was going. After some time, I started sleeping.
    Next day morning at about 7 am it was landing at London. The Sun was bright. The flight attendant was asking us to alight for an hour so that plane could be cleaned.
    I got back my life.
    Then it was pleasnt all along.

    P S Hariharan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear NCN,

    There are something more;
    1. Fear of Loosing right from the nursery stage in todays world children are sent to tuition classes and this is inhibited
    2. We live in a ruthless jungle where nations are likely to get dismembered due to money valuation or economic situation.
    This is worse than a jungle war atleast there you know your enemy here you dont know where the attack is going to be from
    Thanks for the interesting article.
    S.v.Viswanathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramachandran Kalaignanam
    3rd February 2012
    Dear Mr.NCN,
    Nice to read what you have written on on fears; you have listed a few fears namely: Fear of Strangers Fear of ill-health (disease) Fear of Public speaking, standing in front of people and Fear of Death.
    It is surprising that you too talk of the fear of public speaking. I did not think that you could ever have any stage fright! I remember the way you carried the audience with you, at Patalganga. What a contrast your lectures were, in comparison to the soporific sessions people suffered earlier!
    I have lived all my life with real and imaginary fears; I am an incurable hypochondriac; your blog was of particular interest to me. I recollect an incident during my Engineering days. I was a member in the Fine Arts Committee. We had invited a certain leading musician for our University festival. We had to garland all the artists during the penultimate event, while the Secretary proposed the Vote of Thanks. The event required the Secretary to garland the Musician who was the most important person of the Artist’s Troup. The next most important person of the Troup was obviously the violinist, who was to be garlanded by me, the next person in seniority from our group. I was to enter the stage from behind the stage and garland the violinist when his name was announced on the mike. I dreaded appearing on the stage, even though it was merely for garlanding, and I was not to utter even a word! The moment I entered the stage, I virtually lost my orientation, on seeing the vast crowd in front of the stage. In my acute fright, I was not able identify where the violinist was on the stage! The poor Violinist, seeing my predicament, was sticking his neck out frantically, to prompt me that it was he who was to be garlanded! I was so dazed that I groped and unable to see anyone on the stage. The crowd noticed all this and roared at this hilarious situation. I became numb all over. Somebody virtually lead me to the violinist holding my hand, before I ended up garlanding some inanimate object on the stage, to the utter delight of the crowd! Perhaps that was the last time I ever went anywhere near any stage, even if I was holding some key positions in which, shunning public gaze was not always easy! The mere sight of the speaker’s rostrum was enough to make me swoon!
    Mr.P.S.Hariharan has written about the acute dread one feels especially during the long- haul flights such as from US cities to Europe or India across North Atlantic in tubulant weather .It is of particular interest to me , as I also have had similar experience. The fun is, when you yourself are dreading for the worst, when the plane passes through turbulence for hours, and you are praying hard that some invisible hand will hold your body and soul together securely like the seat belt tightly securing you to your seat, the person sitting next to you, panicking, holds your hands and inquires in a trembling voice” Bhai, Saab Kya Ho raha Hai?”. After the turbulence passes off, you strike a conversation with the person and you learn from the person that he is a frequent flyer, and not an infrequent traveler like you! Fear has no rationale.
    On a serious note, the worst fears are perhaps the fear of loss of trust in relationships under “psychological contract’. I mean the informal contracts where we discharge our obligations towards individuals or organizations to whom we feel psychologically committed. The fear of failure to realise Maslow's Hierarchy of needs is another dimension of such fears. You are aware of these gross fundamental fears. You may perhaps like to write about them and the means of mitigating such fears,in your own inimitable manner.
    Thanks for your interesting article.
    R.Kalaignanam

    ReplyDelete

Do you agree or disagree to the shared views?

CHANGE MANAGEMENT

NOT INVENTED HERE SYNDROME NIHS’ - acronym of ‘Not Invented Here Syndrome’ is killer for best practices adoption. Human beings are rebelliou...