Ref: The book Encounter the Enlightened - Commentary by NC
1. Human beings wants be happy 'some day in the future' and believe that they are not happy at 'present'. This 'some day syndrome' will never arrive. It is a good recipe for postponing our Happiness.
2. Human beings believe currently they are inadequate & empty and hence unhappy. This feeling of emptiness and inadequacy leads to finding a way of 'Gathering' thinking to fill their emptiness.
3. Human beings believe that the happiness lies in external things which will make them happy and goes on "Gathering" endlessly.
4. Hence they gather material things, people and knowledge which fulfills their physical, emotional and intellectual emptiness respectively.
5. In spite of gathering they are still not happy as the 'gathering' has no ability to ooze out happiness. Also the very gatherings themselves poses innumerable new problems. I gather an Audi car for happiness and once taken delivery, I am worried some one will scratch it - a misery generating phase.
6. Then they conclude life itself is a challenge & a problem and teach their children to prepare to face problems. The poor child goes to the World to fight like the Alexander the Great who started killing people when he was 16 and won half of this world after killing one million people. He died at 32 and his great contribution was slaughtering one million innocent people. Is it greatness? He should be called "Alexander the Great - fool".
7. This approach for happiness is called "External Mortgage" where we search for happiness through wrong means - interest paid on trouble before it is due. The gathering for misery and not for happiness.
8. The root cause of this misery starts from the belief "Happiness is in the 'future' and needs to be procured through "external objects & events"
9. External objects / people / events won't happen as per our will and something will go wrong everyday and this will rob our happiness as we have no control over them. Knowing we cannot control external situations still we try hard and become more miserable.
10. When happiness is our true nature why are we searching outside? It is like searching for a black cat in a dark room when it is not there.
Now reverse everything:
"Start with happiness & bliss which is your true nature and do things in the external world because that is all you are here for"
"Stop searching externally and turn your attention inward and you will soon realize you are the monument of joy"
The search can be 'External or Internal' - The external is in the wrong direction and internal is the right direction. Close your eyes and search inwardly and one day you will find who you are?
This process of searching is called self-realization because the deluded self needs to realize it's divinity"
With whole of my heart