Among many misconceptions, Prayer is one among them need to be demystified.
When I was a small child my parents used to take me to Thirupati temple and advise me to pray for studying well to pass exam. I used to enquire why lots of people are shaving their head off. I was answered that their request to God has been fulfilled. In my young mind I used to think "For what was granted why give back the useless hair? Because we keep starring at the mirror to groom our hair, but when it falls on the food we are disgusted and that is all the value of the hair!
We are sure that the hair will grow again! Just in case it won't will anyone shave off for God?
In summary, my young mind concluded that:
1. God is sitting above to sanction what we ask for.
2. There is a price for it which could be our hair or 101 coconut depending upon our bargaining ability.
3. Once job is done leisurely settle the account with God or forget about it till the next application.
I was wondering whether anyone would pray for others outside their circle of concern? If no why? Is there anyone who will take all that comes in their life as Prasad of God? Is there anyone who understands God is not an agent and you can't do business with Him?
After listening to many enlightened souls and reading few scriptures I learned the following facts:
1. God is Formless and is Omnipotent, Omnipresent and Omniscient. Veda calls Him Brahman.
2. The whole universe is the manifested form of Him including everything. Bible says "God made all that exists out of Him"
3. With this definition you are God Himself as you are part of that essence and you are as powerful as Him.
4. Prayer is not a 'business' contract with God. It is meant for healing someone who are extension of yourself including all creations. Jesus healed many during his human form.
5. When you pray for someone outside your family, it works so well as the creating energy heals them faster than medicine.
6. 'Punya' is not from charity but from healing someone. Charity makes you arrogant but praying for someone makes you humble and feel good.
7. Moksha is not in heaven after death but right here along with hell. It is all dependant of what you make for yourselves.
Pray for someone outside your loved ones. In fact pray for the Universe in totality. When you visit for Ganpati, please pray for that family and don't put a demand list to Lord Ganapathy.
Whole if my heart